Wednesday, March 20, 2013

On The Benefits of Following Directions

So it's been almost four weeks since I started training with the PortlandFit running club. This past Saturday, I ran five miles for the first time in many, many years. Like, decades. Parts of it were slow and ugly, but I didn't do the things I most feared: stop and walk; vomit; cry. I had kick left at the end and a smile on my face.

I've re-learned a few things about myself in this short time. In no particular order:

1. I like someone else telling me what to do, if they know more than I do. And the coaches at PortlandFit definitely know more than I do about running. The online training schedule orders me around during the week; there's no thinking involved on my part (although there is occasionally procrastination...).

2. I like the sense of accomplishment that comes from follow-through. This, more than anything else, has kept me on track with the three solo runs during the week. My daily life is so scattered and unpredictable. Every day's schedule, no matter how nicely worked out on paper the night before, is one second away from being demolished by kids, elderly animals, laundry, carpool emergencies, client deadlines, and writer's block. If I knock out the run early in the day, everything else is easier to deal with.

3. I like running in a group, even though I consider myself an introvert, a loner, and an anti-social menopausal broad. The energy of everyone else keeps me going.

4. Finally, I like how running makes me feel: happy. And that alone is enough to keep me going for five miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment